Inspired by a recipe found on Epicurious. Of course our version is slightly different...and significantly tastier!
- 5-6 slices Bacetta Bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (rapini), trimmed, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound country-style white bread, cut into 1" pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir until garlic is softened, about 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until wilted, about 2 minutes; let cool slightly.
- Chop up 3-4 strips of bacon into small, bite-size pieces. Cut up each remaining strip into 3 pieces.
- Whisk eggs, milk, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add broccoli rabe mixture, bread, Parmesan and bite-sized bacon pieces; toss to combine. Transfer to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Top with the larger Bacetta strip pieces.
- Bake pudding until puffed, browned in spots, and set in the center, 45-55 minutes.