This is hands-down the EASIEST pizza I have ever made! And, it’s a pizza you can involve the kiddos in making, so add this to your line-up of family-time fun! Just skip the pizza stone and bake your pizza dough in a cast-iron skillet for the most incredibly crispy crust. I love making the skillet pizza covered in onions, cheese and our bacon, but you can customize it however you like. (Another popular option in our house is kale, two-kinds of cheese, BBQ sauce and, of course, our insanely tasty bacon.)
A cast-iron skillet is definitely a game-changer when making a homemade pizza pie. Using a Lodge or similar skillet will deliver a crispy crust because of the high heat distribution throughout the pan. And, shredded cheese spread all the way to the very edge of the skillet (a must do) will ensure the crust is A+ on this deeeeelish dish.
Bacon Skillet Pizza
Make this recipe with Ground Bacon
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough (or you can make your own!)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c. tomato sauce with a tbs of BBQ sauce mixed in
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3-4 ounces Parmesan cheese or shredded cheddar
- 8oz Ground Bacon
- ½ lb Mild Italian Sausage (casing removed)
- ¼ Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1-½ to 2 c. chopped kale
- Chilli pepper flakes (if you like a little somethin’ somethin’)
- Preheat your oven to 500°F and put a 14-inch cast-iron skillet (we use our Grandma’s seasoned cast iron) into the oven to preheat; at least 10 minutes. or so, remove skillet from the over and While the skillet is heating in the oven, in a separate skillet, cook ground bacon and/or sausage or bacon until nicely browned but not overcooked, about 7-8 minutes.
- Using corn or flour meal, prep your surface and press out the dough into a 14-inch round (it may bounce back a little but push to the edge of the skillet)
- Remove Grandma’s seasoned cast iron skillet carefully from the oven. Pour about 3 tbsp olive oil into it. Be sure to use oven mitts when handling the skillet.
- Place the pizza dough into the oiled skillet (it will start to cook a little).
- Drizzle another 2-3 tbsp of olive oil on the dough.
- Brush the dough with the tomato sauce.
- Layer with ground bacon, sausage, cheese (making sure to put a little extra on the edges), onions, mushrooms and spice.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then slice, serve, and devour!