As the saying goes...everything’s better with bacon, especially when it’s wrapped around juicy chicken tenders and grilled to perfection on a hot summer day. Bacon Bosses who follow our recipes know we usually recommend a specific cooking method for our bacon. 99% of the time, The Baconer’s secret method [link to secret method] is the way to go, but now that we’re in the height of summer grilling season, we thought it time for a little Bacon-on-Grill action!
We made a pile of these for a family barbecue and served them as a finger food starter ahead of the burgers, hot dogs, grilled salmon and veggies. They were quick to prep, and cooked up in just a few minutes, clearing the grill for the rest of the menu and keeping everyone very happy as they waited on the main courses. Each piece is a solid few bites, and has the added benefits of keeping the grill-hoverers at bay, and putting some meat in the bellies of those certain cherished guests hitting the beer cooler a little too fast :-)
For our take, we opted for a dry BBQ rub on the chicken (rub recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay). This part could really be anything, from simple salt & pepper to your favorite store bought rub to your own maniacal ghost pepper chili rub -- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Challenge anyone...anyone? The BBQ rub worked beautifully, adding just the right depth and sweetness, but don’t hesitate to get creative with it. And of course, if you opt to make a rub you can do it ahead of time to make things even easier on grill day!
Final tip: make extra because they are sure to disappear faster than you think!
- 6 pieces chicken tenders
- For the rub:
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 12oz pack of The Baconer's Thick Cut Strips
- A few extra tbsp brown sugar
- Heat your grill to med 2.
- Soak toothpicks in water (to prevent burning)
- Meanwhile, mix spices for the rub -- or use your own favorite chicken rub
- Evenly coat each chicken tender with the rub
- Wrap each chicken tender with two strips of bacon, securing loose ends with toothpicks
- Sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top and bottom of each tender, patting it down so it sticks to the surface of the bacon
- Transfer to the hot grill and close
- Grill first side about 5 minutes (you should see nice grill marks on the bacon), turn pieces and grill another few minutes until the internal temp reaches 165°F
- Remove from grill, set onto a plate and serve immediately
MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH: