I’ve always had two all time favorite sandwiches. The first is the classic Reuben because...well...Pastrami. The second is the Cuban sandwich, with its hot & melty ham & roast pork combo, accented by sharp mustard and dill pickle. But one day I asked myself, why have a first and second favorite when I can combine them into one ultimate Super-Sandwich that encompasses everything I most love to put between two slices of bread? That proved to be an excellent question which had a truly delicious answer: the Cuban Reuben. Built on Corn Rye, slathered in spicy brown mustard and Russian dressing, then layered up with ham, Pork Belly Pastrami bacon, Swiss cheese and dill pickles and finally pan fried in butter to crisp melty perfection, this one was love at first sight!
- 3-4 Pork Belly Pastrami Thick Cut strips (For an extra special sando, use the entire pack!)
- 2 slices Corn Rye bread
- Spicy brown mustard
- Russian dressing
- 4 slices ham
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
- Dill pickle, sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces
- In a large pan, cook strips according to The Baconer’s secret method and transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, spread one slice of Rye bread with spicy brown mustard and the other slice with Russian dressing.
- In this order, layer the remaining ingredients onto the first slice of bread: ham slices, bacon strips, Dill pickle slices, Swiss cheese slices. Top the sandwich with the remaining piece of bread and compress slightly.
- Heat butter and oil in a skillet.
- Place sandwich on the skillet and, in lieu of a sandwich/panini press, place another heavy-bottomed skillet on top of the sandwich to compress it. (If you have a sandwich/panini press, now would be the time to use it!)
- Fry up the first side of the sandwich. When it looks nice and browned and the cheese is starting to melt, flip the sandwich and fry the other side.
- Once both sides are browned nicely, the bread seems crispy and the cheese is nice and melted, remove from heat, slice and serve!
MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH: