Nothing hits the spot like a perfect grilled cheese, especially in the cold winter months, and ESPECIALLY when it’s loaded with extras like XXL Bacon Steaks & fig jam! This is our new favorite variation, but the possibilities are endless. Swap the fig jam out for fresh slices of sweet pear, or go savory with Smoky Paprika Bacon & fire roasted poblano chile. No matter where you go with it, if it’s stuffed in a grilled cheese it’s sure to be delicious!
- 2 slices soft sandwich bread, not more than ½” thick
- Fig jam
- 1-2oz grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 XXL Bacon Steak
- Preheat oven to 425ºF
- Place Bacon Steak on a foil lined baking sheet - use a rack if you have it
- Bake for approx 20 mins until edges are nicely crisped.
- When Bacon Steak is nearly done, spread each slice of bread with a thin layer of butter, and add fig jam to one of the slices
- Flip bread slices over and spread both slices with a thin layer of mayonnaise
- Heat a heavy skillet over med-low heat, and add bread slices mayo side down
- Divide the grated cheddar on the bread slices, adjust heat so bread sizzles gently
- When cheese is about half melted, remove steak from the oven, cut in half and lay on one of the bread slices
- Use a spatula to flip the other bread slice on top to close the sandwich
- Keep turning the sandwich, pressing gently, until the sandwich is compact, both sides are crusty, and the cheese is melted
MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH: