Mac and Cheese with Bacon Topping
8 oz cooked Ground Bacon
- 3 slices thick sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 5 Tablespoons butter for melting
1 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 Teaspoons flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 5 Cups whole milk
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 oz Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 400°F
Cook Ground Bacon in a skillet. Brown until bacon turns into bacon bits. Separate from fat (reserve this "liquid gold "for another use) and set aside.
- Pulse bread and 2 tablespoons cold butter in food processor until consistency of bread crumbs.
- Salt and boil 4 quarts water in a Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot. We like to make the water salty, like the sea, to give the macaroni flavor, but salt to your preference
- Once water is boiling, add macaroni and cook until al-dente. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 5 tablespoons butter in the empty pot. Slowly whisk in the flour, mustard, cayenne and salt. Slowly whisk in the milk until the consistency is smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until it’s thick, like heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk in all the cheese until it’s completely melted.
- Stir in the macaroni and cook until it's hot again.
Pour the entire mixture into a 13 x 9-inch broiler safe baking dish. Sprinkle the top with cooked Ground Bacon and bread crumb mixture and bake for another 3-5 minutes at 400°F.
- Remove, let sit a few minutes and then enjoy!