Super thick candied bacon is having a moment...and well deserved too. From the first bite, you’ll immediately experience how this tasty-rich recipe gets its name—trust me when I say you will feel like a million bucks. This easy-to-make indulgence truly is the greatest of bacon treats, with its sweet brown sugar coating and a tingle of heat to spice things up. And, it originated in San Francisco, just a hop, skip and a trip across the Bay Bridge from The Baconer.
I’ve since made this “sweet with a little heat” on several occasions, so here are a few insights. First, I recommend using an oven-safe wire rack to help elevate the slices over the lined baking pan. This helps the heat in the oven to circulate more evenly. You can also use light or dark brown sugar—your choice. When using a dark brown sugar, I have found there is a higher content of molasses which produces a stronger, richer flavor and a deeper candied color. But light brown sugar delivers equal deliciousness!
Without a doubt, these candied steaks are a guaranteed crowd pleaser as an appetizer, brunch side (or just breakfast). And, if you really want to impress your guests, serve these up as the centerpiece of your next family gathering!
- 1 20oz package XXL Maple Sugar Bacon Steaks
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust up or down for desired spiciness)
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Combine sugar and spices in a bowl.
- Place a wire rack in a baking sheet. If you don’t have one, line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay out the XXL Maple Sugar Bacon Steaks so they are not touching.
- Evenly distribute the spice mixture across the top side of each steak, lightly pressing to compact it down.
- Transfer to oven and bake until spice mixture is melted and bubbling, and the steaks are brown at the edges, approximately 20-25 mins.
- Remove from the oven.
- If you can stand the anticipation, let cool a few minutes before devouring.
- And, enjoy your taste buds feeling like a million bucks!