Let's just get one thing out of the way right now.
This is not your 2nd-grade-smile too hard on picture day-backpack bigger than your actual back-put it in a tin lunchbox with your He-Man thermos kind of Peanut butter and Jelly Sandwich, ok? This is a grown ass Peanut Butter and Jelly...that has a mortgage and pays bills...on time.
What makes it grown? Let's start with the bread. This sandwich is made on Brioche. This egg- and butter-rich bread is delightfully tender, delicately crumbly and flat out delicious. This ain't White Wonder bread, Brioche is one step shy of a pastry because of the abundance of eggs, butter, and liquids of all kinds ie: milk, water, cream, and, sometimes, brandy. Slice it thick to hold up for an egg wash later. Yes, you read right, an eggy wash on your sweet eggy bread.
Next, toss out the strawberry jelly you feed your toddler or eat yourself when your toddler refuses. Sub that for spicy pepper jelly. We like INNA Jams pretty spicy Fresno Chili jam made from organic Fresno chilies which look and taste just like jalapeños with one big difference, the chili is shiny and red, like a jewel. This jam has a fruitier, more rounded flavor than green jelly. But if you can’t get INNA Jams pretty spicy Fresno Chili jelly ...any spicy jelly will do."
Choose a peanut butter per your preference, thick and chunky so it sticks to the roof of your mouth or smooth and creamy like a velvety dream.
The real star of the show is the Bacon. Isn't it always? Our Bacon Steaks are the way to go for your big kid sando, super thick cut and meaty. You can fry them or grill them but we recommend baking them for this recipe.
Next comes that egg wash we were telling you about. Into the egg wash and then into brown sugar, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, and black pepper and then, ever so slightly fry this adult, carpooling, gotta be on time, parent-teacher conference havin’ peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Got you feeling hella grown, doesn't it?
- 2 slices Maple Sugar Bacon Steaks
- 2 thick slices brioche bread
- Peanut Butter
- Spicy Pepper Jelly (The spicier the better)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust up or down for desired spiciness)
- ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper
- ½ tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- Butter or oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 420°F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil. Cook bacon steaks on the baking sheet for 15-20 mins or until desired “doneness” is achieved
- Slice 2 thick pieces of brioche bread - ¾” - 1”
- On one side of the bread spread an ample amount of peanut butter
- On the other slice of bread, spread an ample amount of pepper jelly. Don’t be shy now
- When bacon is done, remove from oven, cut in half and lay on top of one piece of bread. Close the sandwich up
- In a bowl, beat to combine milk and eggs
- In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, cayenne, crushed red pepper and black pepper
- Heat 2 tbsp butter or oil in a skillet
- Dip all sides of the sandwich in the egg mixture and then in the brown sugar mixture, making sure the sides are covered as well.
- Lightly fry both sides of the sandwich, making sure to fry the sides as well
- Plate and enjoy
MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH: