Summertime, an' the livin' is easy...or at least that's what they say, right? And why shouldn’t it be? Summertime as a kid was the stuff dreams were made of! Those lengthy action-packed days of being locked out of your house, playing with neighborhood friends, having water balloon fights and the pure freedom to get as dirty as you wanted until the street lights came on (or at least until your mom yelled your full name out front door for the entire block to hear.) Did she even know when the last time you took a bath was? No! And you got away with it until the stink was just enough. Summer Camp away was an actual thing, not just for the day. And the food! Summertime food was as messy as you were. Ice cream and popsicles almost every day and Summertime BBQ’s with a smorgasbord of smoky meat dripping with BBQ sauce. And let’s not forget mid week pizza which was on the menu more than a few times. Ah, yes life was good.
But you are an adult now and if you have kids, school is out. Lucky you! Are your children running amuck until the sun sets at 10:22pm? Do you gotta lock them out of the house for a little sanity? Do you then feel a sense of immense relief until 7 hours later when you feel a wave of panic, that leaves you screaming their full name down the block? Yeah, us too.
There aren’t enough arts and crafts in the whole world to keep them busy until bedtime but we’ve got a sure fire way to keep them busy for at least an hour or two while you conjure up some summertime nostalgia. Have those piglets wash their hands and help you with this amazing combo of summertime freedom disguised as pizza.
This recipe starts with a good crust. We recommend a fresh or frozen pizza dough found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. These work better when they are room temperature so remember to allow 30 mins for them to rise uncovered. Your kids will get a kick outta watching the dough grow and rolling it out into the perfect shape when it's time.
Now for the good stuff! Our Burnt Ends are the perfect topper for your Summertime Pizza. Inspired by Burnt Ends made by pit masters around the globe, we've made a BBQ favorite about 1000% better by replacing the traditional brisket ends with meaty chunks of our Sweet & Smoky Bacon and coating them in a spicy tangy Oakland-style BBQ sauce. Simply bake them in the oven atop you perfect pizza or you can throw them on the grill and on your pizza later, either way, they are sticky and delicious.
May we also suggest that while the pizza is in the oven, go ahead and fill up some water balloons, and run around the yard because, hey, it’s your summer too!
- 16 oz pack Burnt Bacon Ends
- Ball of pizza dough or pre-made pizza crust (If using fresh dough you will also need flour for rolling out the crust)
- Marinara sauce
- 12oz fresh grated cheese (We use a combination of mozzarella, provolone and parmesan cheeses)
- Optional: Fresh basil, chili flakes and parmesan for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450ºF
- If using fresh dough, roll out the dough and transfer it to a baking sheet. If using pre-made crust, place it on a baking sheet
- Spoon marinara onto crust and evenly distribute with the back of the spoon
- Sprinkle liberally with cheese
- Arrange Burnt Bacon Ends on top
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling
- Garnish with fresh basil, chili flakes and/or grated parmesan
MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH: