The venerable Monte Cristo has always been one of my favorite sandwiches. Hot, meaty, cheesy, fried in butter, it checks all the boxes. It’s like a Ham & Cheese Croissant and French Toast had a baby and named their new glorious creation...Monte Cristo. Anyhow, we put our own spin on this classic favorite, building it on fresh sliced Brioche, swapping out the baked ham for our Bourbon Thick Cut Strips, adding in some sliced smoked turkey from our local deli and using Gruyere for the melty cheese. The result? Sweet, salty, bourbon bacony goodness, pillowy soft and crisped to perfection.
Sound like something you’d be interested in? Read on…
Makes 2 Sandwiches
- 4 slices sliced Brioche - Sliced a little on the thicker side
- 5-6 Sweet Maple or Bourbon Thick Cut Strips
- 4 slices smoked turkey
- 1 cup grated Gruyere
- 2 tbsp butter
- Deli mustard - something with a little bite
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- Fry bacon strips using The Baconer’s secret method, set aside.
- Lay out bread slices, for each sandwich spread mustard on one slice and mayo on the other.
- On each sandwich, layer two slices turkey, three strips bacon, and ½ cup grated cheese.
- Close up the sandwiches and press them down to compact slightly.
- Beat eggs until blended.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, making sure the bread is coated.
- In a pan large enough for both sandwiches, melt butter on medium high heat and lay sandwiches in the pan.
- Let fry until golden brown on the first side.
- Flip sandwiches and fry second side until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove sandwiches from pan, move to plate and sift a dusting of powdered sugar on top. Serve and devour immediately!
MAKE THIS RECIPE WITH: