Spaghetti alla Carbonara
- 6 oz bacon
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes, for extra heat
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano
- 1 pound spaghetti or bucatini
- 2 tbsp butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
Fill large pot with cold water and plenty of salt and heat it up.
In the meantime:
- Cut bacon into small bits
- Finely chop the garlic
- Put the above 2 ingredients in a deep saucepan (large enough to fit the pasta later) with olive oil and pepper flakes
- Cook on low heat until bacon is nicely browned, careful not to burn
While the bacon and friends are cooking:
- Beat the eggs and mix in the grated cheese
Returning to the pot of water:
- Once it reaches a nice rolling boil, add pasta and cook just until halfway done. Seriously, when you bite it should still have some white at the center. It will cook further after the next couple of steps.
- Lift pasta out with tongs and move into the deep saucepan with the garlic, bacon and chili flakes. Add the butter and stir in to melt.
- Add 1-2 cups of the hot pasta water to the saucepan and let pasta finish cooking. The pasta should soak up excess water by the time its nicely al dente.
- Transfer to serving bowl and quickly add the egg and cheese mixture
- Grind black pepper over the dish, toss very well and serve immediately