Where does your meat come from?
We source top quality pork belly from a variety of family farms in California, Oregon, Montana and Iowa. All of the farms we work with follow these critical guidelines:
- Humanely raised: humane treatment of animals is core to responsible sourcing, and is the most important criteria we look for. The farms we work with NEVER use farrowing or gestation crates, and their hogs are free to roam. We prefer farms that raise their animals on pasture, though in some areas with freezing winters and/or extreme summer heat this is not best for the animals. In these cases they are raised indoors with plenty of space to roam and socialize.
- Vegetarian diet: our animals are raised on 100% vegetarian feed. Whenever possible, feeds are also GMO free, though this is not always feasible for some of the smallest farmers who simply don't have the resources or manpower to control GMO traceability
- Antibiotic free: our farmers never use sub therapeutic antibiotics.
Where can I buy your bacon?
All of our products are available online. We ship anywhere in the United States!
For Bay Area local customers, our XXL Bacon Steaks and Small Batch Bacon Strips are now available at Berkeley Bowl West.
We have stands at 4 weekly Bay Area farmers markets:
- Saturdays 9-2 Grand Lake Farmers Market (Oakland, CA)
- Saturdays 9-1 College of San Mateo Farmers Market (San Mateo, CA)
- Sundays 9-1 Montclair Farmers Market (Oakland, CA)
- Sundays 10-2 Kensington Farmers Market (Kensington, CA)
How do you ship it?
We ship orders 2-day delivery with USPS and FedEx. Shipments go out Mon-Wed to avoid packages being held in transit over the weekend. Your bacon leaves our warehouse frozen, wrapped in insulation with freezer packs, and may arrive thawed. This is completely normal, rest assured it was very cold most of the trip and can tolerate thawing in transit. We recommend refrigerating upon receipt, you can even refreeze without any damage to quality.
How do you store it?
Bacon can be kept refrigerated up to 30 days before needing to be frozen, and can be kept frozen up to 6 months. To defrost, transfer to refrigerator over night, or if rapid thawing is needed, rest the package in cool water for 15-20 mins. Previously opened packages can be refrigerated or frozen in zip top storage bags, we recommend pressing as much air out of the bag as possible.